Monday, May 10, 2010

A Not-So-Relaxing Weekend

Suffice it to say, this weekend was not all that I had hoped it would be.  My time with Katie and her family on Friday night was wonderful and I stayed longer than I should have.  The drive back to KC was where everything started going wrong.  My mom took my dad to the ER around 9:00 Friday night.  He had chills and a fever of 103 degrees.  His left leg was also swollen and red.  At first the doctors thought it might be blood poisoning from a wound he sustained the weekend before.

So I spent a lot of my weekend at the hospital in ICU.  Dad's blood pressure was only about 60/40 when they got to the ER and so they wanted to monitor him closely.  Now they think it's just a skin infection (either staph or strep).  He was moved out of ICU and into a regular room last night and they put in a "pic line" today so that the antibiotics they're giving him will be distributed faster.  They hope that he'll be able to go home by Wednesday, but he'll have to go back every 2-3 days for more antibiotic injections.  The doctors are saying that it could take several weeks for it to really get better.

It was hard to leave and come back to COMO with him still so sick.  They say his life isn't in danger, but I really won't feel that way until he's out of the hospital and feeling much better.  I've been trying my best not to worry and put everything into God's hands, but sometimes it's a challenge and I find myself imagining horrible scenarios about diseaseas and conditions I've learned about in class.  But ultimately I trust in God to see my family through this - no matter the outcome.  And I'll continue to praise His name through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment