Friday, May 21, 2010

Love's Pursuit

God loved me.  He sent a Man to rescue me.  He sent a Man to die for me.  I had never been worthy of such sacrifice, and I know that I never will be.  I am not good and can never hope to be, but God still loves me.  Still he pursues me.  I merit no favor.  I deserve no grace from God.  There is nothing I can do to coax God to save me.  Nothing I can do to deserve to whisper in God's ear, to feel His eye upon me.  There is no work that I could accomplish that would place God in my debt to coerce Him to act on my behalf.  But still, He does it.  Still....He did it.  God saved me.  I am certain of God's saving grace.  I stand convinced of His love.  And it has nothing to do with my faithfulness, for I have none.  I am faithless.  But He pursued me because He loved me.  He wanted me.  I was rescued.  Spared.  I did not know why.  But I did know who had done the sparing.  Was I worth it?  No.  But there must have been some reason.  I was loved with a love much greater, much vaster, than I knew, by a love so impassioned that it had pursued me.  Me!  As if I was worth that effort.  No, I was not good.  I never had been.  But I was loved.  I am loved.

Only God is good and God is only good.

No comments:

Post a Comment